Sunday, June 5, 2011

I think I zigged and should have zagged!

Usually, when I sew blocks together, I lay them out first, then pick up all of the blocks in rows after flipping the second row onto the first one.  I didn't do that with the Scrappy Double Irish Chain.  It is only two blocks!  I guess that would have been okay if I had gone ahead and made one stack of blocks rather that working from two.



However, I didn't.  I took me until I got to the last row to see what I had done.  I layed the quilt on the floor in the media room.  I don't know how, but Cooper heard me!  I did manage to keep him off of it!  Yep, sure enough, there was a mistake.  Lucky for me though, the entire row was off.  That's great news because that means that nothing is wrong.  The rows aren't sewn together yet.  I'll just snip the chain piecing threads and put the quilt together in two halfs, then sew the two together.


I ended up having to lay this out downstairs as it doesn't quite fit in the media room.  The quilt is 83" x 90" without borders.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet for borders.  Any suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. No border ideas, but I really like the quilt. I guess this one is going on my list to do someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have no border ideas. But I want to to tell you how lovely the Irish Chain is. Gratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilt top!! I guess I will really have to get more conscientious about making some scarp bins as per Bonnie's method! ('cause there's no way I'd cut just for this. Aaaagh!)
    For the border, here is my suggestion: a 2 1/2" white first border, a scrappy 4 patch border of 2" squares, & a 3rd border of white at 2 1/2", then bind in scrappy reds, to really accent all that sweet red in the body of the quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely top. I am a big fan of anything scrappy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the quilt. it is on my to do list. border suggestion. Pick a color, red or blue or green, a color you want to accent. I like red. cut 6 inch wide sections 12 by 15 or 18 in length and sew together. make border from this. I do this alot on scrappy quilts. look at my blog on March 25 here,http://jacksonpatchquilting.blogspot.com/2011/03/another-one-bites-dust.html there is a picture of my Carolina Christmas with this kind of border.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you really want to do some more work, search for and look at the jewel box quilt on my blog - it'd be a pieced, scrappy way to border it.

    www.forestjane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Sharon! It's amazing how those 2" squares can add up. I don't have any border ideas, but would tend to have a plainer border so that it would not compete with the chains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Forestjane's idea. I have one of these multi-square quilts that I was wondering about a border too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've decided on the border design. I tried some differnt ideas, but really liked the ide of continuing the chain pattern. Now to go piece the border! Thank you all for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete