Thursday, June 23, 2011

Borders on the Scrappy Double Irish Chain

I got the Scrappy Double Irish Chain sewn together and pressed this evening.  I auditioned several different borders.  The dark blue one was just too plain.  The one with reds and purple was only okay.  I tried white and then 4-patches.  Not quite right.  Playing with the 4-patch units, we sort of filled in the outside edge while placing a white square in the center of every other block.  That did it!  Here's the quilt sewn together...



And here's a black and white rendering of how the border will look.  I need 726 more 2" squares.  Of those, 23 are white.  I have only a very small bit of white left.  I hope I have enough!


The border is actually 3 squares deep.  The block matrix looks like this:

DLDLD
LDLDL
DLDLD

Alternating with:

LDWDL
DLDLD
LDLDL

And the corners:

DLD
LDL
DLD

And:

LDL
DLD
LDL

Twenty three of the first 2 and 2 of the second 2.

7 comments:

  1. Ok, gonna try to post my comment again! lol...I love your quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's one big, beautiful quilt! Good job! Vic in NH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your quilt! I am working on one too. I am trying to not go out and buy white fabric, instead use the whites that I have. Thus, the white will also be scrappy. I hope it will look okay. I really like your planned border treatment. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sally. The quilt is finished. You will find more recent blog posts showing the quilting and binding. I liked the way the borders turned out because I, like many others, just didn’t like plain borders on this quilt. I’ll look forward to seeing yours with the scrappy lights. I thought about doing this – cutting 2” light squares and piecing my light areas as well. Another option that I contemplated, and would have also liked for the borders would be to add a row of medium/dark 4-patches all the way around. Just to make the border a bit bigger. Maybe I'll try this on the next Scrappy Double Irish Chain quilt!

    ReplyDelete