Wednesday, June 8, 2011

String Pieced Sashings

Tonight, I finished the 80 string pieced sashings.  I pieced these on phonebook pages.  I like using phonebook pages for the foundations.  The lines and columns make it easy to keep the fabrics lined up and the paper tears away so easily.  I had some already pieced, but getting them to 6 1/2" long caused some problems.  Most of my strings are very narrow, so much so that cutting one in half and allowing a seam allowance didn't leave any fabric!  I was doing more ripping and strategically adding strings than I was obtaining 6 1/2" units.  So, I decided to just cut foundations at 3 1/2" x 6 1/2".  That went very well and the last 40 sashing pieces went together quickly. 

Here's a preview of what the quilt will look like when it's done.  It's designed to come out to about 63" x 76".  I will decide on borders once the quilt it together.  I'd like something that will keep it gender neutral.  And if it something that I have in my stash, all the better!

I still have the green Double Irish Chain on the long arm and I haven't finished assembling the scrappy Double Irish Chain yet.  I need to be able to lay out the quilt and then pick it up and bring it to the machine to sew the rows together uninterrupted.  I don't have a lot of sewing time on weeknights, so those bigger projects are better for weekends. 


  1. Very nice. The burgundy/red gives it a rich look!
    I'll have to put this one on my long list.

  2. Thank you for sharing your process of making the sashings and what dimensions worked out the best. I need a piano border and this method may work best for me. Vic in NH