Monday, May 30, 2011

So Many Projects

I've been bouncing between projects lately.  I have still have the Double Irish Chain on the longarm.  I'm piecing another Double Irish Chain.  This one is made from 2" squares.  I'm finally making a dent in the box of 2" squares!  The quilt will have 132 blocks in it.  18 of them can be seen on the design wall.



Next to it are some pieced borders.  This is for a not-quite-finished project.  Actually, they go with a quilt that is finished.  The piecing is finished, the quilting isn't.  I'll most likely work on this again once the quilt is quilted.  Or once I find a better brown that what I have.  I took these off the design wall today.





And yesterday we did some dyeing.  We used many different techniques.  The blacks, yellows and some of the blues were done with regular low water immersion.  Other techniques included painting, spray bottle, salt shaker and layering.  The one on the bottom left is done with black dye powder.




And this is one of my new projects.  Not only was my 2" square bin full, but so was my string bin.  The burgundy and the cornerstone fabrics are from my stash.  The background blocks are cut at 6 1/2" and the string sashings are cut at 3 1/2" x 6 1/2".  It will be larger than this.  Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 76" x 63".  I'm quite pleased with the way this is turning out.  The solid burgundy tames the wild strings and the cornerstones are very muted and help tie it together.  I'l decide on borders once the top is sewn together.  This will be another good quilt to practice with on the long arm.


Happy Memorial Day!


1 comment:

  1. You have got some lovely scrappy projects going on. I usually like to jump from project to project also. But when I get close to a finish I usually work mostly on the almost finished project with a leader/ender project. Is the string project one of Bonnie Hunter's? You are right about the burgundy and the setting stones really setting off the strings nicely.

    ReplyDelete