Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pillowcases, Quilt Shops and Fabric!

It's been a busy week!  On Superbowl Sunday, we enjoyed a vist from a bunch of deer.  Over the next several  nights, I was lucky enough to see the deer at 5:30 or so.  The guild meetings were both the same week this month.  That always makes for a busy week!  I had "Girls' Night" Thursday, so that left only Wednesday for free time.  I rinsed my latest batch of snow-dyed fabric and put some pieces in the watered down dye on Wednesday.  On Thursday, I shared my snow dyeing technique with friends.  I had four friends over, two who were quitters. I invited them to come to the studio and snow dye a few pieces for themselves. 

Today, the quilt guild had an event where they invited member to come and sew pillowcases for a charitable cause.  There was some donated fabric and some member brought fabrics.  I made seven pillowcases.  Each pillowcase takes three fabrics.  I had fun matching up pillowcase fabrics, cuffs and trims.  We ended up making 30+ pillowcases today.  The best part of the pillowcase making day?  The event was held at the community room of the library.  When I pulled in the parking lot this morning , I saw a car I recognized.  I got out my phone and typed a text message:  "Hi Dad!  I see your car".  A few minutes later, Dad stopped by the community room to say hello.

After pillowcase making, a friend and I went to the local quilt shop so we could do some quilt guild business and so I could by some fabric.  I needed some ROAD fabric.  And a friend had purchased it here a couple of months ago.  As you might expect, they were sold out.  This was for a baby boy quilt back, so I decided to just get a different fabric.  Cars!  I bought a fabric by South Sea Import from the Little Hot Rod line.  It was darling, but wasn't the roads that I wanted.  Still only mid-day Saturday, I decided to go to the next-closest quilt store.  The one where my machine is serviced.  I was still having trouble with it at the sew-in today. 



Looking around the store, I couldn't believe my luck - I found the Road fabric!  It was also from the Little Hot Rod line by South Sea Imports.  They had only about 3 yards, and I didn't need even half that amount!  while I was there, I picked up a couple of yards of Feelin' Groovy from Windham Fabrics which was really close to what I wanted for another project.  And a beautiful Robart Kaufman orange.  Mixmasters Fizz it's called.  And has a fantastic selvage with Japanese writing!   



I had a bit of time yet before dinner, so I finished piecing the rest of my 2 1/2" strips to make the blocks for my "Intriguing" quilt.  I have no idea what to call this quilt, but I've show the finished block to a couple of people and "Intriguing" is the first work they've used to describe it.  Next will be to set the orange blazes into the quilt, then to border it.  I have some good, solid border ideas (not solid borders, but ideas that I'm sure of).  I'll continue to true those up as I finish the quilt.  This will not be a huge quilt as its purpose is to learn the technique.  However, it will be big enough to use on the sofa or to snuggle with the dog.  Or if we don't like it at all, for the dog to snuggle with! 




And back to that Road fabric.  That's going to be the backing for an I Spy quilt.  I have an Eye Spy panel that a friend wants for her gandson.  The Road fabric was my idea.

Now that I have some time to sew again, I'm not sure what's next?  I think the quilts waiting in the wings are: 

Intriguing
Friendshp Star (with Rail Fence)
Selvage #3 (The Pink One)
I Spy (Eric)

Oh, said that way, that's not much.  I have a couple of other quilts that I want to put together and the new Hexagon that I want to cut, but we'll just put those on the back burner for now. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings.  Coffee with Mom and Dad after church.  If there is still some snow, I may spend some more time in the studio.  Then perhaps an intriguing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment