Finally - The long hours of January are over. The dye studio is not unpacked, but certainly useable. And there is still snow outside. I can try a new technique. The technique is not new, but is new to me. Snow Dyeing! Like making giant snowcones! I snow dyed 4 yards of fabric today, plus another 3 yards using other techniques. I can't wait to see them tomorrow!
Under this mound of snow is a yard of Kona PFD (prepared for dyeing). I presoaked it in a soda ash solution. Then, I mounded snow on it. I mixed several colors of dye. I found 8 squirt bottles, so I figured that 8 colors of dye would be about right. First layer - red.
Then some yellow
and a bit of brown
Just before I got started, Brad came down. I aked him to do one. Doesn't this look yummy!
Two one yard pieces on the left, four half-yard pieces on the right.
The dye studio is in the basement. After working there this afternoon, it got very cold down there. I blamed it on the snow! Several hours later, there is still snow on the fabrics. Tomorrow, I will move them to somewhere warmer for a couple of hours. I'm not sure if this is necessary or not. I can't wait to rinse them, an then wash them! My favorite part is taking them out of the dryer and pressing them.