Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29th - Snow Dyeing

Finally - The long hours of January are over.  The dye studio is not unpacked, but certainly useable.  And there is still snow outside.  I can try a new technique.  The technique is not new, but is new to me.  Snow Dyeing!  Like making giant snowcones!  I snow dyed 4 yards of fabric today, plus another 3 yards using other techniques.  I can't wait to see them tomorrow! 

Under this mound of snow is a yard of Kona PFD (prepared for dyeing).  I presoaked it in a soda ash solution.  Then, I mounded snow on it.  I mixed several colors of dye.  I found 8 squirt bottles, so I figured that 8 colors of dye would be about right.  First layer - red.



Then some yellow


and a bit of brown


Just before I got started, Brad came down.  I aked him to do one.  Doesn't this look yummy!


 Two one yard pieces on the left, four half-yard pieces on the right.

The dye studio is in the basement.  After working there this afternoon, it got very cold down there.  I blamed it on the snow!  Several hours later, there is still snow on the fabrics.  Tomorrow, I will move them to somewhere warmer for a couple of hours.  I'm not sure if this is necessary or not.  I can't wait to rinse them, an then wash them!  My favorite part is taking them out of the dryer and pressing them. 

2 comments:

  1. You have a great set up in your basement - I'm green with envy! And I have a huge pile of snow to work from... but alas, a non draining sink in my basement! Love your color combos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had read/heard about snow dying last year when I lived with 2 feet of snow for quite a long time! We don't get so much of it in central Va where we moved to. You made some great fabrics with your snow dying.

    ReplyDelete